Required By: Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Location: Bridgewater High School (Verge House), Bridgewater, NS
Under the direction of the APSEA provincial supervisor, and consultation with the educational interpreter consultant and itinerant teacher, the successful applicant will provide educational interpreting services; prepare and provide educational support services, under the direction of the teacher, for a student who is deaf and communicates using sign language.
- Graduate of a recognized ASL/English Interpreting Program
- 3+ years work experience in a K-12 environment
- Knowledge of child and language development
- Knowledgeable of the basic principles of educational practices, the function of support services, and the role of interpreters as part of an educational team
- AVLIC membership and oral transliteration training desirable
- University or college studies in Deaf education, child development or special education desirable
- Superior level of English grammar and vocabulary – written & spoken; strong academic background
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills in working with students and colleagues; experience in working or interacting with deaf and/or hard of hearing persons
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of the student’s educational team
- Ability to work in a public school setting (criminal and child abuse registry checks)
- Minimum of 3.5 on the first and fourth categories of the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment.
Term: 2.5 days per week beginning September 1, 2017
Salary: In accordance with the APSEA/NSGEU Agreement.
Please quote Competition Number 2017-38 and submit letter of application, current resume and the names of three work references to:
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This posting will be open until filled.