Required By: Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Location: Cape Breton-Victoria Regional Education Centre (Sydney area, NS)
Under the direction of the Provincial Supervisor, the itinerant teacher is responsible for providing direct instruction in areas of the Expanded Core Curriculum, and consultation in support of students on their caseload in the home, community and school (birth to high school graduation). The incumbent works collaboratively with the school based or early childhood team. This position requires daily travel and the ability to work in a variety of settings.
- Eligible for Nova Scotia Teacher Certification
- Masters or equivalent in Education of Students who are Blind or Visually Impaired
- Competency to teach the Expanded Core Curriculum for students who are blind or visually impaired
- Experience working with students who are blind or visually impaired, including those with multiple exceptionalities
- Experience and training in early childhood education
- Ability to complete assessments, including Learning Media and Functional Vision and develop programs for all students
- Ability to assess and provide programs to address the diverse learning styles of students
- experience teaching in a variety of settings (e.g., elementary through senior high school, preschools, in the home)
- Demonstrated competency in computer use and assistive technology for students who are blind or visually impaired
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and relate positively to children, parents, preschool and early intervention staff, APSEA staff, administrators, public school educators and other professionals from outside agencies
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational/time management skills
- Demonstrated self-initiative and ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to produce and maintain records and student files
- Regular travel with personal vehicle
- Valid driver’s licence
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to APSEA or employment will be terminated.
Term: Term position available immediately until June 28, 2019.
Salary: In accordance with the APSEA/NSTU Agreement.
Competition remains open until filled. Please quote Competition Number 2018-43 and submit letter of application, current resume and the names of three work references to:
Director of Finance and Administration
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
E-mail: Director of Finance and Administration
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.