Required By: Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Location: Anglophone South School District (Simonds High School, Saint John, NB)
Under the direction of the APSEA provincial supervisor, and in consultation with the itinerant teacher, the successful applicant will provide educational support services by modeling sign language; facilitating communication between the student and their peers; also prepares and provides educational support services and materials for a student who is deaf and communicates using sign language.
- 3+ years work experience in a K-12 environment or related experience
- University or college studies in Deaf education, special education or child development desirable
- ASL instructor certification and/or Deaf interpreter training an asset
- Native fluency in ASL (e.g., minimum of Superior Plus on the Sign Language Proficiency Interview)
- Knowledge of child and language development
- Awareness of the role of LASWs as part of an educational team
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to function in an English educational setting
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and ability in working with students and colleagues within the educational team
- Authorized to work in a school setting (clearance through criminal records check and child abuse registry)
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to APSEA or employment will be terminated.
Term: Full-time term position until June 21, 2019.
Salary: In accordance with the APSEA/NBU Agreement.
Competition remains open until filled. Please quote Competition Number 2019-01 and submit letter of application, current resume and the names of three work references to:
Director of Finance and Administration
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
E-mail: Director of Finance and Administration
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.