Required By: Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Location: APSEA Centre, Halifax, NS
APSEA is an interprovincial cooperative agency established in 1975 by joint agreement among the Ministers of Education of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. APSEA provides educational services, programs and opportunities for children and youth from birth to 21 years of age who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, or visually impaired who reside in Atlantic Canada.
The Residence Counsellor, works as a team member to provide for the personal care and well-being of students who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, visually impaired, or have sensory loss and additional challenges attending APSEA short-term programs or assessments. The Residence Counsellor supports the outcomes set for students by the APSEA program planning team. This position reports to the Supervisor of Residential Programs. This is predominantly afternoon and evening work.
- Sign language fluency in American Sign Language (ASL)
- Skilled in working with children and adolescents, particularly those with special needs and sensory impairments
- Degree, diploma or equivalent in child development or human services related field
- Understanding of implications of vision loss and/or hearing loss on learning and development
- Course work in the support of students who are blind or visually impaired and/or deaf or hard of hearing an asset
- Knowledge of UEB, Uncontracted Braille, and Orientation and Mobility an asset
- Knowledge, experience and skills in the use of adaptive equipment and technology for students who are blind, visually impaired, deaf, hard of hearing or those with multiple disabilities an asset
- Physically able to assist and support students in personal care during transfers and lifts
- Strong interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training
- Certification in first aid and CPR
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks (current Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Check and current Child Abuse Registry Search) and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to APSEA or employment will be terminated.
Please quote Competition Number 2019-03 and submit letter of application, current resume and the names of three work references to:
Director of Finance and Administration
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
E-mail: Director of Finance and Administration
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.