Required By: Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Location: Chignecto-Central Regional Centre for Education (Spring Street Academy, Amherst, NS)
APSEA is an interprovincial cooperative agency established in 1975 by joint agreement among the Ministers of Education of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. APSEA provides educational services, programs and opportunities for children and youth from birth to 21 years of age who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, or visually impaired who reside in Atlantic Canada.
The educational interpreter provides interpreting and support services to a student who is deaf and communicates using sign language.
- Graduate of a recognized ASL/English Interpreting Program
- 3+ years work experience in a K-12 environment
- Knowledge of child and language development
- Knowledgeable of the basic principles of educational practices, the function of support services, and the role of interpreters as part of an educational team
- CASLI (AVLIC) Membership and oral transliteration training desirable
- University or college studies in Deaf education, child development or special education desirable
- Superior level of English grammar and vocabulary – written & spoken; strong academic background
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills in working with students and colleagues; experience in working or interacting with deaf and/or hard of hearing persons
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of the student’s educational team
- Ability to work in a public school setting (criminal and child abuse registry checks)
- Minimum of 3.5 on the first and fourth categories of the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to APSEA or employment will be terminated.
Term: Full time position for the 2019-2020 school year.
Salary: In accordance with the APSEA/NSGEU Agreement.
Please quote Competition Number 2019-26 and submit letter of application, current resume and the names of three work references to:
Director of Finance and Administration
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
E-mail: Director of Finance and Administration
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Candidates selected for an interview will be required to submit two recent interpreting samples.