Required By: Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Location: APSEA Centre, Halifax, NS
APSEA is an interprovincial cooperative agency established in 1975 by joint agreement among the Ministers of Education of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. APSEA provides educational services, programs and opportunities for children and youth from birth to 21 years of age who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, or visually impaired who reside in Atlantic Canada.
The Residence Counsellor, under the supervision of the Supervisor of Residential Programs, works as a team member to provide for the personal care and well-being of students who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, visually impaired, or have sensory loss and additional challenges attending APSEA short-term programs. The Residence Counsellor supports the outcomes set for students by the APSEA program planning team. This is predominantly afternoon and evening work.
- Sign language fluency of Intermediate or the preferred level of Advanced (as per the Sign Language Proficiency Interview (SLPI) Evaluation)
- Skilled in working with children and adolescents, particularly those with special needs and sensory impairments
- Education/training in child development or related field
- Understanding of implications of vision loss and/or hearing loss on learning and development
- Course work in the support of students who are blind or visually impaired and/or deaf or hard of hearing is considered an asset
- Knowledge of UEB, Uncontracted Braille, and Orientation and Mobility an asset
- Knowledge, experience and skills in the use of adaptive equipment and technology for students who are blind, visually impaired, deaf, hard of hearing or those with multiple disabilities
- Skill and ability to assist students with transfers and personal care
- Strong interpersonal communication, written communication and collaboration skills
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training (can be obtained upon employment)
- Certification in first aid and CPR
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to APSEA or employment will be terminated.
Term: Part-time term position, during the school year.
Salary: In accordance with the APSEA/NSGEU Agreement.
Please quote Competition Number 2019-27 and submit letter of application, current resume and the names of three work references by 12:00 noon (Atlantic) on Tuesday, May 21, 2019 to:
Director of Finance and Administration
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
E-mail: Director of Finance and Administration
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.