Required By: Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Location: Anglophone West School District (George Street Middle School - Fredericton, NB)
APSEA is an interprovincial cooperative agency established in 1975 by joint agreement among the Ministers of Education of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. APSEA provides educational services, programs and opportunities for children and youth from birth to 21 years of age who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, or visually impaired who reside in Atlantic Canada.
The Language Acquisition Support Worker (LASW) provides educational support services by modeling sign language; facilitating communication between the student and their peers; also preparing and providing educational support services and materials for a student who is deaf and communicates using sign language.
- 3+ years work experience in a K-12 environment or related experience
- University or college studies in Deaf education, special education or child development desirable
- ASL instructor certification and/or Deaf interpreter training an asset
- Native fluency in ASL (e.g., minimum of Superior Plus on the Sign Language Proficiency Interview)
- Knowledge of child and language development
- Awareness of the role of LASWs as part of an educational team
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to function in an English educational setting
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and ability in working with students and colleagues within the educational team
- Authorized to work in a school setting (clearance through criminal records check and child abuse registry)
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to APSEA or employment will be terminated.
Term: Full time position for the 2019-2020 school year.
Salary: In accordance with the APSEA/NBU Agreement.
Please quote Competition Number 2019-32 and submit letter of application, current resume and the names of three work references by 12:00 noon (Atlantic) on Friday, May 24, 2019 to:
Director of Finance and Administration
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
E-mail: Director of Finance and Administration
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.