Required By: Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Location: Nova Scotia/New Brunswick
Term: Part-time (50%) term position until February 26, 2021
Salary Range: PR 10 $30.16/hour to $36.79/hour
Reporting to the Director of Programs for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, the ASL-English Staff Interpreters are responsible for responding to the interpreting needs of APSEA staff. They will work collaboratively with IT Services and other APSEA staff to research and promote innovative approaches to interpreting support services through technology such as video conferencing, Zoom, VRS, etc.
- An undergraduate degree as well as completion of a Sign Language interpreter training program
- 5+ years of relevant experience with ASL
- Ability to work in a collaborative, positive manner with APSEA staff, freelance interpreters, school-based staff, professional organizations, etc.
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated self-initiative and ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to adequately prepare for assignments to ensure the highest quality of services
- This position will be exposed to a high level of sensitive information on a day-to-day basis and therefore it is a requirement to adhere to a recognized Sign Language Interpreter Professional Code of Ethics (for example, CASLI Professional Code of Ethics, RID Code of Ethics)
- Demonstrated ability to use technology to provide interpreter services virtually
- Culturally responsive with the ability to apply knowledge, experience and commitment in the areas of race relations, cross cultural understanding, human rights and diversity.
- Ability to travel throughout Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
- Professional Certifications from one or more of the following:
- CASLI – Canadian Association of Sign Language Interpreters
- RID – Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
- Canadian Government Translation Bureau
- other relevant Interpreter Screenings
- Knowledge of regional sign language variations as well as awareness or knowledge of Signed Exact English (SEE)
Offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials.
Competition remains open until filled. Please quote Competition #2020-19 and submit cover letter and current resume to:
Coordinator of Human Resources
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
E-mail: Coordinator of Human Resources
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.