Required By: Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Location: Multiple positions within Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
Position: Casual/short-term opportunities for the 2020-2021 school year ending no later than June 30, 2021 (between 9-25 hours per week)
Salary: In accordance with the APSEA/NSGEU and APSEA/NBU Agreements
The Language Acquisition Support Worker (LASW) provides educational support services by modeling sign language; facilitating communication between the student and their peers; also preparing and providing educational support services and materials for a student who is deaf and communicates using sign language.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Native fluency in ASL (e.g., minimum of Superior Plus on the Sign Language Proficiency Interview).
- Experience working with early language learners.
- Experience in an educational environment or related experience would be considered an asset.
- University or college studies in Deaf education, special education or child development would be considered an asset.
- ASL instructor certification and/or Deaf interpreter training would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of child and language development.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to function in an English educational setting.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and ability in working with students and colleagues within the educational team.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials.
APSEA is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, APSEA will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Renée Pothier, Coordinator of Human Resources
Competition remains open until filled. Please quote Competition Number 2021-01 and submit cover letter and current resume to:
Coordinator of Human Resources
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
E-mail: Coordinator of Human Resources
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.