( View ASL )
Did you know that American Sign Language (ASL) is one of the most popular languages to learn in North America? Sign language learners, culture enthusiasts, interpreters, families and specialists in the field often use online resources to support their learning and growth. While there is no shortage of websites dedicated to English to ASL dictionaries, what happens if you know a sign but don’t know what it means or the complementary English word? How do you look up a 3D language?
APSEA Connect is excited for an opportunity to introduce you to a sign language and Deaf culture resource called Handspeak. Along with information on language, articles on Deaf culture, and sign of the day videos, Handspeak also offers a unique reverse dictionary dedicated to looking up information based on the sign rather than the English word.
Come learn more about this unique resource directly from the person who created it, Jolanta Lapiak, a media artist and inspirational teacher. Together with APSEA ASL Specialist, Jax Warner, Jolanta will introduce you to this useful resource, exploring the world of sign language.
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Meet the creator of the Handspeak resource and an APSEA ASL Specialist who integrates the tool into his work and life.
- Learn more about the components of this resource, including the reverse dictionary.
- Communicate with experts in the field of sign language and Deaf culture.
- Parents, caregivers, and adult family members of the students APSEA supports
- School Team members
- Community Members
- APSEA employees
- Jolanta Lapiak, American Sign Language Instructor and literary media creator
- Jax Warner, American Sign Language (ASL) Specialist, APSEA