( View ASL )
Grades: 9 - 12
Date & Time: Thursdays 11am - noon
Program Length: Weekly over the course of 11 weeks
Facilitators: Janice Gavin, Brian Yee and Heather Limpert
“Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change” (Wayne W. Dyer)
This program is designed to support and empower students with sensory diversity and additional exceptionalities.</em
The program will focus on resilience and identifying strengths to support oneself during challenging times. Through their own interests and lens, students will have the opportunity to identify and celebrate with other students having similar needs, providing a peer group for social/emotional development.
Students who are Deaf or hard of hearing or Blind or visually impaired and identify with additional exceptionalities, in grades 9-12 are welcome to participate in this weekly, 45-minute program. Come join Heather, Itinerant teacher for the Blind and visually impaired, and Janice and Brian, Counsellors at APSEA, in this series!
Students will explore and learn:
- Social language in different settings: Welcome and Introductions
- Use of conversational skills such as small talk
- Skills for life through group activity and discussion
- Alternate activities: e.g., Move and Stretch
- Experiential storytelling and discussion e.g., community travel, volunteer work, employment readiness, “what you need to do to get a…”
- Activities to promote self-regulation and group engagement