( View ASL )
Grades: 3 – 8
Date & Time: Tuesdays 1 – 2 or Wednesdays 10:30 – 11:30, March 29 – June 1
Program Length: Every second week over the course of 11 weeks
Facilitators: Harry Purney, Chrissy MacNeil, and Wendy King
Calling students in grades 3 – 8!
Are you interested in sharing stories, learning how to advocate for yourself, and becoming part of a community? If so, please join us!
Chrissy MacNeil and Harry Purney, APSEA’s deaf mentors, are excited to welcome Deaf and/or hard of hearing students to learn with them and older peers.
Under Chrissy and Harry’s guidance, and in working with older volunteer mentors, mentees will have opportunities to:
- Become part of a deaf and/or hard of hearing community
- Practice social language
- Participate in group discussions and activities
- Learn about and practice advocacy skills
- Share stories and learn from older Deaf and/or hard of hearing students and adults
- Learn and practice strategies for communicating and repairing communication breakdowns
Mentees will join Chrissy, Harry, and the mentor students every second week for the duration of the program.
Students are not required to be on the mentors’ caseload to participate. We welcome any student in grades 3 - 8 supported by APSEA to take part in this meaningful, community-building initiative.