( View ASL )
Grades: 9 - 12
Date & Time: Tuesdays 1 – 2 or Wednesdays 10:30 – 11:30, March 22 – June 1
Program Length: Weekly over the course of 11 weeks
Facilitators: Harry Purney, Chrissy MacNeil, and Wendy King
We are looking for volunteers!
Are you a student in grades 9 – 12 who is interested in building leadership skills, supporting younger students, making an impact, and gaining experience for your resume? If so, we have an opportunity for you!
Harry Purney and Chrissy MacNeil, APSEA’s deaf mentors, are excited to invite older deaf and/or hard of hearing students to join them in mentoring younger students.
Under Harry and Chrissy’s guidance, volunteers will have opportunities to:
- Develop teamwork skills as part of a Deaf and/or hard of hearing community
- Practice facilitating group discussions and activities
- Model advocacy skills
- Build confidence
- Practice goal setting
- Develop leadership skills
- Model appropriate and respectful behaviours
- Improve planning and organizational skills
- Learn and practice different strategies for communicating and repairing communication breakdowns
- Develop social skills with peers, youth and adults
- Share lived experiences and wisdom as role models for younger students
Volunteers will meet for an hour each week with Harry and Chrissy, with younger students joining every second week.
Students are not required to be on the mentors’ caseload to participate. We welcome any student supported by APSEA to take part in this meaningful, community-building initiative.