( View ASL )
When I tell people I’m Deaf, some of them behave like a deer in headlights – freeze, don’t move!
Students are invited to experience the perspectives of people who identify and communicate in various ways – Deaf, hard of hearing, ASL user, lipreader, English speaker, cochlear implant user and, of course, those confusing hearing people! We’ll discuss our thoughts in a safe, friendly environment, ask questions, and share our experiences.
Come and join in this fun, interactive program. BONUS – you can develop people and communication skills that will look great on your resume! WARNING - there may be a lot of belly laughs!
In this program, students will have opportunities to:
- Meet people with different hearing levels and identities
- Share stories and experiences related to communication
- Learn strategies for communicating with people who have different hearing levels and communication modalities
- Discuss common sources of miscommunication
- Explore common myths and misconceptions about Deaf and hard of hearing people