Trail mix is a great way to introduce basic cooking skills with your child such as pouring, measuring, scooping, stirring and following a simple recipe.
Steps to make a trail mix:
- Wash your hands and clean the workspace before you start.
- Collect the tools and ingredients. You will need: Large bowl, spoon, ½ cup measure, different dry food choices.
- Organize the workspace. Place ingredients on a tray or cookie sheets, set on the left side of the counter. As ingredients are used move them to the right, in the finished area.
- ½ cup small pretzels or twists
- ½ cup peanuts
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup chocolate chips or M and M’s
Substitutions: Use other favorite foods such as Cheerios, Goldfish, almonds, or dry cranberries. You may also choose to introduce a new food such as dried banana.
- Measure ingredients and add to bowl.
- Mix ingredients together in a large bowl using a spoon.
- Spoon into baggies or small snack containers to store.