Policy Type: Executive Limitations
Policy Title: Communication and Support to the Board
Date Adopted: June 13, 2019
Date Reviewed: December 10, 2019
Date Amended: December 10, 2019
The Superintendent may not permit the Board to be uninformed or unsupported in its work.
The Superintendent will not:
- Neglect to submit monitoring data required by the Board according to its policy “Monitoring Superintendent Performance” (BSD #5) in a timely, accurate and understandable fashion, directly addressing provisions of the Board policies being monitored, and including the Superintendent’s interpretations consistent with the “Delegation to the Superintendent” (BSD #4), as well as relevant data;
- Let the Board be unaware of any significant information it requires, including anticipated adverse media coverage, threatened or pending lawsuits and material external and internal changes;
- Fail to advise the Board, via the Chair, that, in the Superintendent's opinion, the Board is not in compliance with its own policies on Global Governance Process (GP #1) and Global Board-Superintendent Delegation (BSD #1), particularly in the case of Board behaviour which is detrimental to the work relationship between the Board and Superintendent;
- Allow the Board to be without decision information required periodically by the Board or let the Board be unaware of relevant trends;
- Present information in unnecessarily complex or lengthy form or in a form that fails to differentiate among information of three types: monitoring, decision preparation, other;
- Allow the Board to be without a workable mechanism for official Board, officer or committee communications;
- Deal with the Board in a way that favours or privileges certain Board members over others, except when (a) fulfilling individual requests for information or (b) responding to officers or committees duly charged by the Board; or
- Allow the Board to be unaware of any actual or anticipated noncompliance with any Ends or Executive Limitations policy of the Board regardless of the Board’s monitoring schedule.