Policy Type: Governance Process
Policy Title: Annual Planning
Date Adopted: June 13, 2019
Date Reviewed: December 10, 2019
Date Amended: February 19, 2020
To accomplish its job with a governance style consistent with Board policies, the Board will follow an annual plan that:
- Completes an assessment of Ends policies; and
- Continually improves Board performance through Board education and enriched input and deliberation.
- To accomplish administrative planning and budgeting, based on a one-year segment of the most recent statement of long-term Ends, the cycle will conclude each year on the last day of September.
- The cycle will start with the Board's development of its agenda for the next year.
- Consultations with selected groups in the ownership or other methods of gaining ownership input will be determined and arranged in the first quarter, to be held during the balance of the year.
- Governance education and education related to Ends determination (e.g., presentations by industry experts, advocacy groups, or staff) will be arranged in the first quarter, and scheduled during the balance of the year.
- A Board member may recommend or request an item for Board discussion by submitting the item to the Board Chair no later than ten (10) business days before the Board meeting.
- Throughout the year, the Board will attend to “required approval” agenda items as expeditiously as possible.
- Superintendent compensation will be decided annually following a performance appraisal that shall include a review of monitoring reports received from the previous year.
- Superintendent monitoring will be on the agenda: if reports have been received since the previous meeting; if plans must be made for direct inspection monitoring; or if arrangement for third-party monitoring must be prepared.