Policy Type: Board-Superintendent Delegation
Policy Title: Monitoring Superintendent Performance
Date Adopted: June 13, 2019
Date Reviewed: June 24, 2021
Date Amended: June 24, 2021
Systematic and thorough monitoring of Superintendent job performance will be limited to expected Superintendent job outcomes: organizational accomplishment of Board policies on Ends and organizational operation within the boundaries established in Board policies on Executive Limitations.
- The purpose of this monitoring is to determine the degree to which Board policies are being met. Information and data that does not do this will not be considered within monitoring.
- The Board will acquire monitoring information by one or more of three methods:
- By Internal Report: in which the Superintendent discloses interpretations and compliance information to the Board;
- By External Report: in which an external, impartial third party, selected by the Board, assesses compliance with the Superintendent’s interpretation of Board policies; and/or
- By Direct Board Inspection: in which a designated Board member or members of the Board assess compliance with the Superintendent’s interpretation of the appropriate policy criteria.
- In every case, the Board will judge (a) the reasonableness of the Superintendent’s interpretation, and (b) whether data supports the interpretation.
- The standard for compliance shall be any reasonable Superintendent interpretation of the Board policy being monitored. The Board is the final arbiter of reasonableness, but will always judge with a “reasonable person” test rather than with interpretations favoured by Board members or by the Board as a whole.
- All policies that instruct the Superintendent will be monitored at a frequency and by a method chosen by the Board. The Board can monitor any policy at any time by any method, but will ordinarily depend on a routine schedule, as follows:
(Times per year)
(See legend below)
|EL #1||Global Executive Limitation||1X||IR|
|EL #2||Treatment of Clients||1X||IR|
|EL #3||Treatment of Staff||1X||IR|
|EL #4||Compensation and Benefits||1X||IR|
|EL #5||Financial Condition and Activities||3X
|EL #6||Financial Planning and Budgeting||1X||IR|
|EL #7||Asset Protection||1X||IR|
|EL #8||Communication and Support to the Board||1X
|EL #9||Emergency Superintendent Succession||1X||IR|
IR = Internal Superintendent Report
ER = External Report
BDI = Board Direct Inspection