Skip to main content
Staff Portal Staff Portal

What services are available to me during my child's school career?

  • Itinerant Teacher Services
    • Service to students in the public school system.
    • Direct service to students who have a severe language delay due to their deafness.
    • Inservices and consultative service to school district personnel.
    • Collaboration with classroom teachers to help modify materials and programs for student use.
    • Provision of technical support in the care and use of amplification equipment and cochlear implant technology.
  • Amplification and Technical Support
    • Maintenance of student's FM hearing aid systems.
    • Provision of technical computer support for APSEA teachers.
  • Consultation for Educational Interpreters
    • Provides support to school districts on the EI service.
    • Visits the student, school personnel and EI to facilitate the service.
    • Provides written reports to the interpreter and the APSEA provincial supervisor.
    • Co-ordinates sign communication proficiency interviews.
    • Co-ordinates summer professional development.
  • Consultant for Students who are Deaf with Additional Challenges
  • Family/Student Counsellor
    • Visits schools and home settings where student/parents are dealing with issues such as cultural isolation or behavioural disorders.
    • Works with teachers to help them develop a behavioural management program.
    • Works with families in their home to help them develop parenting or coping skills.
    • Collaborates with school districts and other agencies to establish the necessary support to help the child function at home and at school.
    • Provides direct counseling service to students where appropriate.

My child's hearing aids/cochlear implant needs to be replaced. Will APSEA pay for this?
APSEA does not pay for hearing aids or cochlear implants. The following are the programs that can provide financial assistance: The Children's Trust Fund, President's Choice Charity, The Elks Canada and The APSEA Auxiliary ($400.00 maximum). Each one of these organizations require different forms, information etc.

Will you help my child in the classroom? What is the role of my child's itinerant teacher?
APSEA itinerant teachers work within schools to provide additional support necessary for children who are deaf or hard of hearing to access educational programming. Support can include developing expressive and receptive communication, self-advocacy, auditory development, amplification management, and career exploration. The itinerant teacher, as a member of the school team, provides disability-specific expertise. Service delivery can include direct instruction to the student, consultation with the school team, participation in school meetings, collaboration and/or co-teaching with classroom teachers, formal classroom observations, support for audiological equipment, in-servicing for school staff, and establishing a relationship with parents of a child who is diagnosed after school entry. The level of service for students is determined by the provincial supervisor using established guidelines.

  • Direct Service - Direct Service includes specific planned instruction of individual outcomes, documented on an APSEA Service Plan (ASP). Direct service can range from one hour to 5+ hours weekly and delivered in a variety of ways including individual instruction outside the classroom, in-class instruction/support, coaching and/or co-teaching, in person or by distance and establishing a relationship with parents of a child who is diagnosed after school entry.
  • Monthly Consult Service - Monthly consult service includes: formal classroom observations; support for audiological equipment; in-servicing for school staff; consultation with the school team; and establishing a relationship with parents of a child who is diagnosed after school entry.
  • Twice Yearly Consult Service - Twice yearly consult service may include: formal classroom observations; support for audiological equipment; in-servicing for school staff; consultation with the school team; and establishing a relationship with parents of a child who is diagnosed after school entry.

My audiologist told me my child should have an FM / DM system. What is that? How do I get it?
Frequency modulation (FM) and digital modulation (DM) are two ways that sounds can be transmitted over a distance. FM systems transmit sound using radio waves, whereas DM systems are transmitted using digital signals. Both FM and DM systems transmit sound from a microphone that is worn or used by a teacher, parent or any other communication partner directly to the child. Because the microphone is away from the child’s device, both systems are often called remote-microphone hearing assistance technology (RM-HAT).

APSEA provides and maintains FM/DM systems to children K-12 free of charge during the school year. All FM/DM equipment is returned to the APSEA Centre at the end of the school year each June for summer maintenance and returned to the students at the start of the new school year in September.

What services will my child need in school?
An itinerant teacher will contact you and the school team to set up an initial visit to the classroom to observe your child interacting with his/her teacher and classmates. The itinerant will also talk to the various members of your child’s school team, including you. Following this initial visit, field-based assessments may be the next step in service delivery. The purpose for field assessments by itinerant teachers is to assist in determining level of service to students and to inform APSEA Service Plan outcomes. Once all of the above has occurred, the itinerant teacher will contact the Provincial Supervisor to discuss your child’s needs and a service delivery plan will be established. That plan will be shared with you and your child’s school team.

Will my child be able to go to university? Will APSEA services continue there?
APSEA services are discontinued when your child graduates from high school. During the high school years, either your child’s itinerant teacher or a school to community transition consultant will assist you and your child in planning for life after high school.

Is there financial assistance available for my child in university?
There are various grants and scholarships that your child for which your child can apply for financial assistance.

  • Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities - When you apply for Canada/Nova Scotia Student Assistance as a student with a permanent disability, your eligibility for this grant is automatically assessed. If you are eligible for the Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities, your need for grant funding will be determined before your need for loan. The maximum grant is $2,000 per year.
  • Scholarships – your high school guidance teacher can assist your child in applying for scholarships.
  • APSEA scholarships – Your child can apply for various scholarships offered through the Interprovincial School Development Association. Your itinerant teacher or school to community transition consultant will assist you in completing the application process. Applications are available on the APSEA website.